Re: xdm

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 11:02:42AM -0600, Brian Morgan wrote:
> Thanks to all who have helped me get X up and running.  I'm using xdm to
> start my X sessions (not sure if I'll keep it).   A few more questions:
>
> 1. If I decide I'd rather get rid of xdm, and use startx instead, what file
> to I need to modify to get to a console login on startup rather than the
> graphical xdm login?

Virtual consoles are still available on VC's 1 through 6.
CTRL-ALT-Fn, where n is from 1 to 6, will get you to them from the xdm
login screen.

ALT-Fn switches between virtual consoles when at a console.  The xdm login
screen will be on VC 7, so ALT-F7 will get you back there.

If you don't want xdm starting a local X server at all, edit
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and comment out the line at the bottom by placing a
"#" at the start of the line.  There are other ways to stop xdm from
launching a local X server at boot, but this one perhaps requires the
least effort.

> 2.  If I do decide to keep xdm, what file do I modify to change my default
> windows manager (similar to the .xinitrc file when using startx).

$HOME/.xsession is best used for X sessions started with both xdm and
startx.

If you have a $HOME/.xinitrc, it is never seen by X sessions started by
xdm, and it furthermore bypasses some of the setup and housekeeping that
startx/xinit normally do.  It's best just to move .xinitrc to .xsession.

The xinit manpage has more information about this.

> .3  Does xdm put any limitations on using gnome if I decide to use that in
> the future?

To my knowledge, no; but I do not have any experience with GNOME.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Religion is something left over from the
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   infancy of our intelligence; it will