Re: xdm

In a message dated 1/22/99 12:05:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bmorgan@greenville.edu writes:

>1. If I decide I'd rather get rid of xdm, and use startx instead, what file
> to I need to modify to get to a console login on startup rather than the
> graphical xdm login?

You should already have both - starting xdm doesn't prevent the console login
from starting, it just switches your display window.  To get to your console
login, hit CTL-ALT-F1 (F1 thru F6, actually).  To switch back to your X
session, hit CTL-ALT-F6.

> 2.  If I do decide to keep xdm, what file do I modify to change my default
> windows manager (similar to the .xinitrc file when using startx).

/etc/X11/window-managers

> .3  Does xdm put any limitations on using gnome if I decide to use that in
> the future?

I can't imagine it would, but I don't use GNOME.  However I do use KDE and
have no problems with that environment.  Also, I can use either xdm or kdm
with KDE for my logins.

-Jay