Re: xdm

On 22 Jan 99 20:15:13 GMT, kent.west@infotech.acu.edu (Kent West)
wrote:

>At 03:09 PM 1/22/1999 -0500, Michael Stenner wrote:
>>New xdm question:
>>
>>My box is set up to start xdm automatically.  Can I start linux without
>>xdm starting?  I would even settle for having it run but not on the
>>screen.
>>
>>Reason I care:
>>
>>I had a video card go bad and I wasn't sure that my new video card could
>>handle what xdm was going to automatically send it when my computer came
>>up.  I'm pretty sure that using a root disk and then mounting / to edit
>>stuff (that was already mentioned on this thread) would work, but it
>>surprises me that there isn't a more elegant solution.
>>
>>					-Michael
>>
>>  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
>>  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
>>  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305
>
>Ya know, as obvious as that is, it never occurred to me. The xdm maintainer
>might want to be given the suggestion to provide some sort of hot-key to
>avoid starting xdm or to cancel out of it. Good idea, Micheal.

Why not boot into single-user mode (or any mode lower than the one
that starts xdm by default) and edit the files from there?  That'll
save you at least one reboot and the hassle of using a rescue disk.
Try "<kernel name> single" at the boot prompt.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."