Re: Plextor PX-412C ? (was: what cd-writer ?)

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 06:24:33PM -0600, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are also looking for a good SCSI CDR to buy for our university group.  We
> plan to redistribute experimental data on CDs, so we may burn few CDs a day
> occasionally.  After reading net we decided to go with something like:
> Plextor PX-412C, or Sony 948S, or Yamaha CRW 4260
>
> Are they good?  Would you prefer one to another?

I own the Plextor PlexWriter 412 internal SCSI burner, and it's been
nothing short of 100% reliable.  I use it for backups, and also
recording audio (cdda) cds of my own.  The only CD that didn't burn
correctly was my own fault for not using the software correctly.

I've never burned under Windows, though.

> Will Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card be enough for them?

Yup, that's exactly what I have.  My SCSI cable was 68 pin, and the
burner had a 50 pin "port," but I just picked up an adapter.

> External vs Internal?  Some people say that overheating is a problem and
> external is a better choice.

Mine is internal, never had a problem with heat, and I leave my
computer on 24 hrs/day.  Internal is cheaper.

Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"They're always havin' a good time down on the bayou,