Re: DB2 progress

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 02:32:21PM +1100, Colin McCormack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm also struggling with the installation of DB2 under debian.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
>
> I created a /bin/rpm file as follows:
> #!/bin/sh
>
> alien --to-deb -i $2
>
> I symlinked the following:
> /bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
> /bin/basename -> /usr/bin/basename
> /bin/compress -> /usr/bin/compress
> /bin/grep -> /usr/bin/grep
> /bin/egrep -> /usr/bin/egrep
> /bin/sed -> /usr/bin/sed
> /bin/touch -> /usr/bin/touch
>
> I found a news post that gives the following information:

rpm2deb for DB2 installations are not a good idea since it does a whole bunch ofstuff at the end like addusers and updates database configuration. Best thing to do would be to install a small redhat partition, install DB2, tar it up, copy the log and untar the db2 and run the commands at the end on debian.

> The problem with connecting using a userid and password if you are
> shadowing passwords turns out to be a bug in the install script.  A
> couple of files in sqllib/security should have suid bits set but the
> install is not doing this.  To fix this, cd to ~/sqllib/security on
> the instance id and do:
>
>   chmod g+s db2flacc
>   chmod u+s db2aud
>
> then su to root and do:
>
>   chmod ug+s db2ckpw
>
> And I subscribed to the ibm.software.db2.udb.linux.beta newsgroup at
> news.software.ibm.com.

> I try) to create the sample instance with this:
> 	db2icrt -a SERVER -u db2fenc1 db2inst1
>
> I'm getting horrible errors, worst of which is this beauty:
> 	SQL10007N Message "-1390" could not be retrieved.  Reason code: "2"
>
> Which, I think, means that it got an error, but it can't tell me what it is :)
>
> Some problem with localisation, I surmise.
>
> I have netsearched newsgroups for some clue as to what -1390 might mean, and
> it appears to be this:
>
> SQL1390C The environment variable DB2INSTANCE is not defined or is invalid.

Looks like you did not install the DB2 instance.. Second screen I guess or you did not run the follow-up commands. Look at the IBM newsgroup for the message called DB2 Install on Debian GNU/Linux and read its reply. It will help you.

> (Can I just point out, for the easily amused, that -1390 is represented as
> 1390C in one of the horrible numeric formats they use for COBOL?  Welcome to
> the 70s. :)
>
> Colin.

Hope it helps,

Vaidhy