DB2 progress

Hi,

I'm also struggling with the installation of DB2 under debian.

Here's what I have so far:

I created a /bin/rpm file as follows:
#!/bin/sh

alien --to-deb -i $2

I symlinked the following:
/bin/awk -> /usr/bin/gawk
/bin/basename -> /usr/bin/basename
/bin/compress -> /usr/bin/compress
/bin/grep -> /usr/bin/grep
/bin/egrep -> /usr/bin/egrep
/bin/sed -> /usr/bin/sed
/bin/touch -> /usr/bin/touch

I found a news post that gives the following information:

The problem with connecting using a userid and password if you are
shadowing passwords turns out to be a bug in the install script.  A
couple of files in sqllib/security should have suid bits set but the
install is not doing this.  To fix this, cd to ~/sqllib/security on
the instance id and do:

  chmod g+s db2flacc
  chmod u+s db2aud

then su to root and do:

  chmod ug+s db2ckpw

And I subscribed to the ibm.software.db2.udb.linux.beta newsgroup at
news.software.ibm.com.

I try) to create the sample instance with this:
	db2icrt -a SERVER -u db2fenc1 db2inst1

I'm getting horrible errors, worst of which is this beauty:
	SQL10007N Message "-1390" could not be retrieved.  Reason code: "2"

Which, I think, means that it got an error, but it can't tell me what it is :)

Some problem with localisation, I surmise.

I have netsearched newsgroups for some clue as to what -1390 might mean, and
it appears to be this:

SQL1390C The environment variable DB2INSTANCE is not defined or is invalid.

(Can I just point out, for the easily amused, that -1390 is represented as
1390C in one of the horrible numeric formats they use for COBOL?  Welcome to
the 70s. :)

Colin.