Re: Windows95 and Linux Installation

*- Michael Stenner wrote about "Re: Fwd: Re: Windows95 and Linux Installation"
> On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
>>On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Harrison, Shawn wrote:
>>
>>> But, LILO will be installed on the slave drive? So you can't use it as
>>> the boot loader. Win95 is on the primary drive, so you'll use it as the
>>> bootloader and then run LOADLIN from within Windows (DOS, really) to boot
>>> your linux system.
>>
>>You can still use lilo to boot a slave drive.  Just have lilo installed on
>>the MBR for each drive.  The boot options on the first drive would be hda1
>>for Windows and hdb for Linux.  Then install LILO on the MBR of hdb and
>>have it load Linux from hdb1 (or 5, as I believe the original poster was
>>using).  I've had LILO setup this way for quite some time.  I'd post the
>>lilo.confs, but I don't have access to my machine right now.  There are 2
>>configuration files needed: one for hda's MBR and one for hdb's MBR.
>
> I disagree with both of you.  You only need to install LILO on the MBR
> of your master disk.  I also do not have the config file here, but you
> do not need LILO on both.  It's a fairly logical config file, but if
> anyone wants it, I can send it.

I disagree with all of you, =).  Why not just use Loadlin?  No messing
with the MBR's. You don't have to worry about Win95 or virus scanners
erasing it.  Just add some menu choices to autoexec.bat and copy the
kernel to the Win95 partition and you are set.

Something like this:
rem Start OS menu
cls
echo.
echo         Select an Operating System
echo.
echo           1) Windows 95
echo           2) Linux (default)
echo           3) Linux Single User
echo.
choice /c:123 /t:2,3 System
if errorlevel 3 goto single
if errorlevel 2 goto current
if errorlevel 1 goto win95
goto end
:current
c:\linux\loadlin.exe c:\linux\kernels\vmlinuz.cur /dev/hdb5 ro
goto end
:single
c:\linux\loadlin.exe c:\linux\kernels\vmlinuz.cur /dev/hdb5 ro single
goto end
:win95
goto end
:end