Re: qpopper && quota

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.3.96.990108142313.1002A-100000@linux1.tf.ipen.br>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E1rio_Ol=EDmpio_de_Menezes?=  <mario@curiango.ipen.br> wrote:
>	I have a Debian box as a pop3 server for some users at the Dept.
>The server has one scsi disk, with three main partitions (/ /home /other).
>This is a poor design, but was done some years ago, when I was just
>beginning with Linux.
>	I have set quota for users in / and /home so I can prevent the
>spool area to hog all disk space with tons of messages with megs of
>attach. The problem is that when some user with a little more than the
>half of its quota tries to get e-mail via pop3, he/she gets a quota
>exceeded message, because the qpopper do a temporary copy of the mail file
>after it changes to the user/group of the user requesting the pop.

The temporary files used to be in /var/spool/mail. Exactly for this
reason, I modified the Debian package to store the temporary files
in /var/spool/pop. So if you make sure /var/spool/pop is on another partition,
there is no problem. For example, remove /var/spool/pop, create a
/other/pop directory and make a symbolic link from /var/spool/pop
to /other/pop.

Note that there stillis another problem - if the popper copies the
mailbox to /var/spool/pop, a new message comes in, and the user
exits the POP client without modifying/deleting any messages you
might end up with with a mailbox over quota and lost messages anyway.
I cannot see any workaround for this - hopefully it won't
happen too often :/

>	3. Is there some other pop server that behaves different?

No, unless you move to maildir format, which isn't supported
by most of the debian mailers and none of the pop servers.

Perhaps we could fix this in potato. I'm getting the experience
nessecary for this since I am moving the whole mailspool of
our ISP over to maildir format in the next few days.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?