Re: Fwd: Re: Windows95 and Linux Installation

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Harrison, Shawn wrote:
>
>> But, LILO will be installed on the slave drive? So you can't use it as
>> the boot loader. Win95 is on the primary drive, so you'll use it as the
>> bootloader and then run LOADLIN from within Windows (DOS, really) to boot
>> your linux system.
>
>You can still use lilo to boot a slave drive.  Just have lilo installed on
>the MBR for each drive.  The boot options on the first drive would be hda1
>for Windows and hdb for Linux.  Then install LILO on the MBR of hdb and
>have it load Linux from hdb1 (or 5, as I believe the original poster was
>using).  I've had LILO setup this way for quite some time.  I'd post the
>lilo.confs, but I don't have access to my machine right now.  There are 2
>configuration files needed: one for hda's MBR and one for hdb's MBR.

I disagree with both of you.  You only need to install LILO on the MBR
of your master disk.  I also do not have the config file here, but you
do not need LILO on both.  It's a fairly logical config file, but if
anyone wants it, I can send it.
					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305