Re: what cd-writer ?

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Tim T. wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 199901210919.KAA28927@sg10.chem.tue.nl>,
> 	tgakem@sg10.chem.tue.nl ("E.L. Meijer \(Eric\)") writes:
> >
> > [ about choosing a cd-writer ]
> >> Stay away from IDE CDR's... I recommend Yamaha SCSI or Trax-Data SCSI units
> >> etc.. The names that seem to be in the fore front on Technology
> >
> > Hmm, I know several people who are using a Philips 3610 rewriter with
> > IDE interface that have good experiences with that.  If you are going to
> > use scsi, you will need to be sure to get a good scsi interface, I have
> > seen lots of trouble with somewhat cheaper models.
>   I have one of these beasts, and it works reasonably well.
>
>   Mind you reasonably: there are some things which it apparently
>   cannot do: I have problems ripping audio of a copied CD: for some
>   reason, I get scsi (I use scsi emulation) timeouts. I can copy
>   copied CD-roms just fine..
>
>   Anybody know of a fix for this ? Am I looking at dying drive or is
>   this normal ?
> 		TimT.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that drive
suffers from a weak spring.  I found a web page (maybe from
tomshardware--maybe not) that gave detailed instructions on how to install
a new spring.  It's only the spring that moves the read-head, so you
shouldn't have troubles writing.  (I believe--There's a few philips that
suffer from this, I believe this is one of them).

-Dan