Help with smail!

Hi! Sorry if this message has appeared before, but since the problem
is in smail, I can't be too sure :)))
------- Forwarded Message Follows - - - - - - -

Date sent:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:27:47 +0000
From:           "Jose L. Gomez Dans" <jgomez@pc117179.shef.ac.uk>
To:             debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
Copies to:      j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk
Subject:        Help with smail!

Hi!
    I logged into my debian box today, and found no mail. Being
subscribed to this list, this was a bad omen. No mail has arrived in
the past two days. This same problem happened in the past, but I
sorted it out (unfortunately, I don't know how!).

    Basically, if I telnet to my computer's port 25, I don't get
an indication that smail is sitting there. It looks as if it might
have something to do with /etc/hosts.deny, because telnetting to the
local loop port 25 does not have any problems at all, and local mail
is delivered without a glitch. Mail from the outside world seems to
time out waiting to issue the HELO/EHLO command to my in.smtpd. Local
machines in my domain (shef.ac.uk) can and do deliver mail, even
though a manual telnet connection to port 25 looks dodgy (it seems to
crash).

    I am using smail 3.2.0.102-1, as packaged in slink. All
dependencies are fine, and I don't know what has caused this program
to stop working. From the above symptons I suspect a problem not on
smail, but hosts.allow or hosts.deny (even though accessing other
ports from remote machines outside shef.ac.uk works fine; finger
doesn't work either).

    Please, if someone's got an idea, help... How is one suppossed to
live without e-mail??? :)

    TIA
Jose
--