Help with smail!

--- Begin Message ---
Hi!
	First, please send a copy of any answers to
j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk. The reason will become obvious in due
time... :)
	I logged into my debian box today, and found no mail. Being
subscribed to this list, this was a bad omen. No mail has arrived in
the past two days. This same problem happened in the past, but I
sorted it out (unfortunately, I don't know how!).

	Basically, if I telnet to my computer's port 25, I don't get
an indication that smail is sitting there. It looks as if it might
have something to do with /etc/hosts.deny, because telnetting to the
local loop port 25 does not have any problems at all, and local mail
is delivered without a glitch. Mail from the outside world seems to
time out waiting to issue the HELO/EHLO command to my in.smtpd.

	I am using smail 3.2.0.102-1, as packaged in slink. All
dependencies are fine, and I don't know what has caused this program
to stop working. Outgoing mail seems to work fine, so I guess that the problem lies within the tcp/ip bit of the chain, not with smail.

	Please, if someone's got an idea, help.

	TIA
Jose
--