Re: mount problems

> Bob Hilliard <hilliard@flinet.com> writes:
>
> >      sudo mount /dev/hda4 or sudo mount /dev/rex
> >
> > I get the response mount: /dev/hda4 already mounted or /rex busy.
> > However, df, mount and /mtab all show that /dev/hda4 is not mounted.
>
> Are you sure that you have an *empty* /rex directory before you try mounting?

A directory need not be empty to mount anything on it.  In fact, in my
/floppy directory I have a file named "No floppy currently mounted.", so
I will see this if I type `ls /floppy' when there is no mounted floppy.

The problem probably is that there is a process which has /dev/rex as
current directory, or has a file in /dev/rex opened, which makes /rex
`busy'.

HTH,
Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032