Re: Kernel compilation - niggling issue.

Ali Graham <agraham@hal9000.net.au> writes:

> The only problem I have now is that an error message comes
> up near the end of the boot sequence:

> 	Cannot load char-major-10

> (It repeats -- i.e. it is shown twice.) AFAICT this correlates
> to misc.o, and I didn't select anything that needed the misc.o
> module, and therefore it wasn't built.

I'm getting the same message, but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

I vaguely remember tracing it back to a command in one of the bootup
scripts that did something to or with the hardware clock. The most
probable scenario that the program tries to open /dev/something
which makes the kernel search for the appropriate module, fail, and
return an error to the program which then decides it can do without
it.

At any rate, nothing seems to malfunction here save the error message.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm