Re: Debian goes big business? [was: Re: Suggestion for RedHat (was: RH vs Debian)]

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Jernej Zajc wrote:

> Being a Caldera newbie I find Debian idea so interesting that
> I'll probably switch. Point is, there is absolutely no
> commercial interests driving the development into one direction
> or the other. Developers have total control over what and how is
> going to be implemented. It's what's made Linux (and other
> high-end UNIX systems, such as Solaris, HP-UX) what they are
>  - versatile OSs that are configurable to the maximum extent.
> Windoze, on the other hand, has been developed according to
> wishes, not needs, of hobbie users that favour clicking icons
> and stuff like that. I like it too, but found that my data is
> indefinitely more important and want to use it in the future so
> Linux is my best bet. Some of us are tired of relying on
> ever-changing APIs that are being developed according to momental
> needs (="which rival do we want to wipe out today, Balmer?")
>
> The less organization you have the more development will serve
> real needs; developers that code in their spare time usually
> know what they're doing and what is needed, and are not directed
> by boss that puts generating revenue as priority no. 1.
>
> Do you think it will ever be possible that in a corporation the
> work will not be driven by revenue? That shareholders will back
> off and leave developers total control over their work? I think
> not.

Then you must not be paying attention. As I have said in nearly every
message, this would not be a public corporation. The only shareholders
would be the same people who control Debian today. The only change is that
they will be paid and therefore will not need other jobs.

> As for two kinds of developers, paid and unpaid ones, don't you
> think there can arise some tensions between the groups? Money
> changes much things.

Only if we let it. We're not animals. We're human. We can control
ourselves. Just because it rarely happens doesn't mean it can't happen.

> Debian is the only viable non-commercial Linux distribution
> nowadays. It's the only major Linux distribution of which
> development is propelled by absolutely no commercial interest.
> Many many people want it to stay this way. After all, it's the
> Linux way.
>
> Jernej

None of this would change. As for your comment about the "Linux way", I
don't buy it. Over the course of the last year Linux has become *heavily*
commercialized. I am dead against that. What I propose is the exact
opposite, securing the developers and users as the sole controlling force
behind Debian.

| pretzelgod                 | epgilles@olemiss.edu        |
| (Eric Gillespie, Jr.)      | epg@pretzelnet.cx           |
| "That's the problem with going from a soldier to a       |
|  politician: you actually have to sit down and listen to |
|  people who six months ago you would've just shot."      |
|  --President John Sheridan, Babylon 5                    |