Re: emergency disk/mounting files

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, KTB wrote:

> I don't know that I can explain it very well but I'm booting to begin
> with from the rescue disk.  When "boot:" comes up I type "linux
> init=/bin/sh" There is no color screen I'm not sure what a mono screen
> is.  I just get the regular non-X screen.  I tried "mount -o remount, rw
> /" and got the following error:  EXT2 warning: maximal mount count
> reached, running e2fsck is recommended mount: warning: cannot change
> mounted device with a remount

[ all kinds of other helpful info snipped ]

Ok, I have a feeling you are booting from your harddrive still, but not
into multi-user mode because the / partition is your harddrive, not the
floppy.  You should get a decent result if you type:  "linux 1" at the
lilo prompt.  Your / drive is already mounted and it's mounted rw, that's
good.  If commands are missing when you boot with "linux 1", try running
"mount /usr" to get that drive with all your familiar commands mounted.
At that point, you should be able to edit files.  If you can't change the
file, try running "chmod u+w filename" and use the editor again.  If it
still doesn't let you change the file, send the new output of "mount".
Finally, to check a filesystem, run "e2fsck /dev/hd??" replacing the ??
appropriately.

Good luck,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
| The above is a completely random sequence of bits, any relation to |
|               an actual message is purely accidental.              |