Re: emergency disk/mounting files

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, KTB wrote:
> >
> > > I need to change an X config file I screwed up so I can get into Linux.
> > > I'm using my boot disk to get to root, so I can bypass X, so I can edit
> > > the file.  This is the message and prompt I get when booting from the
> > > floppy:
> > >
> > > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only.
> > > sh: /usr/bin/check -sendfile: No such file or directory
> > > /#
> > >
> > > I then use the command umount like so:
> > > /# umount /
> > >
> > > I then tried mounting like so:
> > > /# mount /dev/hdb2 / -rw
> > >
> > >  and got this:
> > > mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> I don't understand how you are doing things after unmounting the root
> partition.  Do you actually boot off the rescue disk and get to the
> color/mono screen?  Anyway, in answer to your current question, try:
> mount -o remount,rw /

I don't know that I can explain it very well but I'm booting to begin with from the
rescue disk.  When "boot:" comes up I type "linux init=/bin/sh" There is no color
screen I'm not sure what a mono screen is.  I just get the regular non-X screen.  I
tried "mount -o remount, rw /" and got the following error:
EXT2 warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended
mount: warning: cannot change mounted device with a remount
OK, I hope I can put this down in a legible way.  Here is some other info I have found
out:

First, just above the prompt is this message:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only
sh: /usr/bin/check -sendfile: No such file or directory

 Before doing anything on this last boot is use "mount" at the prompt, this is what I
got:
/# mount
dev/hdb1 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)

The message "above the prompt" tells me "read only" using the 'mount' command seems to
be telling me read and write, but it is read only.
One thing I think I have been doing wrong is I have been trying to mount my swap
partion.  I have three partions:
hdb1 (root), hdb2 (swap) and hdb3 (whatever you call it, user portion)

I went back and tried all the suggested mount lines such as, "mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb2
/"  and replaced "/devhdb2" with "/dev/hdb1"  This obtained no different results than
using "/dev/hdb2"

Another thing that might be going wrong is I'm not unmounting properly.  This is what
I put in to unmount:
/# umount /

Then I tried the mount command and got the following:
 /# mount
dev/hdb1 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)

Which is the same thing I got when I first logged on before trying to unmount.

So I tried "umount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 /"
I got a prompt and tried "mount" and got the same thing as before:
/# mount
dev/hdb1 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)

I tried to mount with "mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 /"
and got the following:
mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or / busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdb1 is already mounted on /
I found that if I use "mount -a" I can use the editor 'joe'  I can look at a file but
can't change anything it tells me "read only."

When I used the command "mount" with "-a" I got the following message:
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

When I tried "mount -a -rw" I got the same message:
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
I hope someone can help.  I can't access my system until I change the file to turn off
xdm, then I should be able to start up my system without the boot disk and correct
what I did in the various XF86Config files.  I have looked at man pages and howto's on
the internet and can't find anything about what I'm experiencing here.  There has to
be a way for me to read AND write to files through using the boot floppy.  If not I
guess I'll have to just reinstall.
Thanks,
Kent