Re: Debian/Caldera/RedHat

hi

Ship's Log, Lt. Jernej Zajc, Stardate 180199.2024:
> Hello,
>
> how does Debian compare to the Caldera and RedHat distributions?
> Any comment from ppl that use/used COL and RH are most welcome:
> pros, cons, irritations, wishes.

I just used RH no COL but here my experiences:

Redhat was a bit easyer to install @1st, well maybe realy easyer, but now it's
harder to maintain. (I am the Admin of 2 RH boxes on campus)

- Redhat has only one big RPMS dir were everyone is (on there ftp-server) so
  you always have to read al several page long ls output
- the only other dir is then contrib/... were you have to go back several
  levels and search there again a list in equal length

- redhat has no admintool like dselect, not to mention apt which is already
  now pretty cool. You have a funky looking control-panel, which helps a lot
  in configurating the printer (that is a big point for RH) but what you cannot
  do is  saying "please update my system"

- Debian is in open devellopment, you can always look in the next (two)
  distributions and check for packages were you realy want to have the l8est
  stuff. So in debian you often get realy up2date packges which is sometimes
  realy handy (on campus vim and mutt is most of the time a selfcompiled
  version)

Greetings

--
Alexander N. Benner  -  The Seven Promises of a Promise Keeper:  -2-

A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a
few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep
his promises.