Re: rawrite for linux

homega@vlc.servicom.es wrote:

> Jonathan Sprague dixit:
>>
>> dd if=FILE.EXT of=/dev/fd0 (for floppy a:)
>
> say I want to make an image of Slackware's boot & root disks from my cdrom
> to the floppy, would it be as follows?:
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You should not mount the floppy if you are going to write to the floppy
device (/dev/fd0) directly.  Besides, these floppy images do not contain
ext2 file systems.

> dd if =/dev/hdb/bare.i of=/dev/fd0
>
> dd if=/dev/hdb/color.gz of=/dev/fd0

You have mounted the CDROM on /cdrom, so these commands should read

dd if=/cdrom/bare.i of=/dev/fd0
dd if=/cdrom/color.gz of=/dev/fd0

Alternatively, you could use cp to do this:

cp /cdrom/bare.i /dev/fd0

> BTW, I believe obs=18k deals with disk space/capacity somehow.

This shouldn't matter as long as the floppies are low-level formatted in
advance (use superformat if they aren't).

HTH.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>