Re: emergency disk/mounting files

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, KTB wrote:
>
> > I need to change an X config file I screwed up so I can get into Linux.
> > I'm using my boot disk to get to root, so I can bypass X, so I can edit
> > the file.  This is the message and prompt I get when booting from the
> > floppy:
> >
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only.
> > sh: /usr/bin/check -sendfile: No such file or directory
> > /#
> >
> > I then use the command umount like so:
> > /# umount /
> >
> > I then tried mounting like so:
> > /# mount /dev/hdb2 / -rw
> >
> >  and got this:
> > mount: you must specify the filesystem type

I don't understand how you are doing things after unmounting the root
partition.  Do you actually boot off the rescue disk and get to the
color/mono screen?  Anyway, in answer to your current question, try:
mount -o remount,rw /

HTH,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
| The above is a completely random sequence of bits, any relation to |
|               an actual message is purely accidental.              |