Re:? Linux stranded ?

Hi Ulrich

>Is it possible that Linux strands on certain occaisons?
>After installating Linux, I run <dselect> and download several
>programmes from FTP. After closing <dselect> and before I could login

Did you use the APT method with Dselect to download your files? I used APT
on Slink and it uninstalled my getty. This is a very bad thing and would
produce the symptoms you describe.

>as root, I got the following message:
>
>INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
>I switched to the second user (alt-F2). I could't login; I got the
>message
>
>INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>INIT: No more processes left in this runlevel
>
>The next 24 hours, the INIT: Id "1" and Id "2" messages were shown
>every 5 '.
>
>Even with Ctrl+Alt+Del, I couldn't get out. I had to switch off the
>power.

Yes I got exactly these problems, there was apparently some sort of
dependancy problem.

>??What was the problem??
>??Had linux stranded?? (me is always told, that linux cannot strand)
>
>Can anybody tell me where <dselect> has put the FTP-files in???
>

>From what I remember of the deity list, APT deletes the files after it
"upgrades" your system, you probably don't have the files it downloaded
anymore.  If this is your problem it has probably been fixed by now, you
could always move back to using the stable distribution :-)

Hope this was of some help