? Linux stranded ?

Is it possible that Linux strands on certain occaisons?
After installating Linux, I run <dselect> and download several
programmes from FTP. After closing <dselect> and before I could login
as root, I got the following message:

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I switched to the second user (alt-F2). I could't login; I got the
message

INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: No more processes left in this runlevel

The next 24 hours, the INIT: Id "1" and Id "2" messages were shown
every 5 '.

Even with Ctrl+Alt+Del, I couldn't get out. I had to switch off the
power.

??What was the problem??
??Had linux stranded?? (me is always told, that linux cannot strand)

Can anybody tell me where <dselect> has put the FTP-files in???

Ulrich

****************Signature below*********************
Ulrich Gruen
Utrecht University
Faculty of Chemistry
Department of Science, Technology and Society (NW&S)
 (room B203)
Padualaan 14
3584 CH  UTRECHT
The Netherlands

Phone: +31-30-2537615
FAX  : +31-30-2537601
Mailto:U.J.P.Grun@chem.uu.nl

WWW homepage of the Department Of Sience, Technology and Society
http://www.chem.ruu.nl/nws/www/nws.html

If a fiddler played you a song my love,
and if I gave you a wheel.
Would you spin for my heart and loneliness,
would you spin for my love.

If I gave up all of my pride for you,
and only loved you for now.
Would you hide my fears and never say,
Tomorrow I must go.

Everywhere, there's rain my love.
Everywhere, there's fear.

If you tell me a lie, I'll cry for you.
Tell me of sin and I'll laugh.
If you tell me of all the pain you've had,
I'll never smile again.

Everywhere there's rain my love.
Every where there's fear.

I can plainly see that our parts have changed.
Our sands are shifted around.
Need I beg to you for one more day,
to find our lonely love.

Everywhere there's rain my love.
Everywhere there's fear.

     Phantasmagoria in Two (Tim Buckley, 1967)