Re: economy mode printing?

> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Are there any economy mode print filters available for use with gs
> > in debian?
>
> As root, hpset econo should do the trick....

It will, for certain HP printers.  Very probably not for the HP 710C
that I have, which actually is a windows printer (but has been
supported by some enthousiastic protocol hacker).  It probably doesn't
even have a hardware economode.  Hpset probably won't work for Epson or
Canon printers either.  I started writing a filter that can convert a
postscript file to a bitmap that leaves out half the pixels (or more,
or less), and turn that into a postscript file that can be printed
again.  I was wondering if such a beast existed already.  It shouldn't
be to hard to insert this as a feature into gs I suppose, since it
produces a bitmap that is converted to something a printer
understands.  Would people be interested in a utility that converts
postscript into `eco-postscript' bitmaps for this purpose?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032