Re: economy mode printing?

I don't know if there are any ready for use economy mode filters,
probably it depends on the printer.
I can share my solution which works fine with my HP-LJ5L:
lpfin is for final quality, lp and lpdr for economy mode.
This is the coresponding fragment of my /etc/printcap:
***************
lpfin\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpfin:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpfin/filter-lj:\
        :sh:
lp|lpdr:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lpdr:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lpdr/filter-lj:\
        :sh:
*******************
The files /var/spool/lpd/lpdr/filter-lj and
/var/spool/lpd/lpfin/filter-lj are identical (I attached them to my
message).
The only difference is in prinit.bin file, which is sent to the printer
before the output of ghostscript (I attached the both versions of
prinit.bin - watch out! they are binary files, even though they seem to
be plain text).

				I hope this helps
				Wojtek Zabolotny
				wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Are there any economy mode print filters available for use with gs
> in debian?
>
> Eric
>
> --
>  E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
>  Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032
>  Lab. for Catalysis and Inorg. Chem. (TAK) | tel. fax    +31 40 2455054
>

> --

#!/bin/sh
if [ -e prinit.bin ]; then
 cat prinit.bin