Re: compiles

If you been following this topic, you will know I upgraded two 1.3.1
machines here to 2.0. And both were having similar kernel compile problems?

In my last mail I explained how I had solved the Kernel compile problem,
by purging and re-installing the libc6-dev package... Following a suggestion
about the /usr/include structure being different???

I also said I was going to do the exact same thing on the remaining 2nd
Debian 2.0 system (ie purge and re-install libc6-dev)... to see if by some
miracle (or fluke, he he) the same would happen again.

And guess what, it worked :-)

Kernel compiles (2.0.36) work like a dream on both machines now, just as I
would expect them to ! Well at least as far as the make 'dep' 'clean' and
'zImage' go. I still have to test make 'modules' and 'modules_install'. But
I am now confident all is OK.

So, my brokenly Debian 2.0 system isn't so brokenly now, and is getting back
to what 1.3.1 used to be like - Heaven !

I Still know of a few more broken things, and I dare say I wil find more. But
many are simple to solve. Like installing a needed OLDLIB package, or a little
re-configuring etc.

The nagging problem I have at the moment is with damm broken CR (see last
mail), if only I could sort that out, I would be rockin again :-))))

I must say thank you to all that helped on debian-user, Besides helping mend
my brokenly box, you have also helped restore my faith in Debian once again.

I have had some (lots) of *VERY* testing and frustrating times this last
week or so?

But fear not, I am holding the annual Redhat/Slackware CD burning ceromoney
as per normal.... sometime later today :-))))))

In fact one of the Redhat CD's might just escape the ritual this year. As this
last week it has become of great use (for a change)... Masquerading as a
Coaster to stand my drinks on <grin>.

Cheers

--
Nidge Jones