LILO-problems

I have compiled a new kernel, I run "make zdisk" to make a boot-disk
and that works just fine. But I can't make my hard-drive boot-able.
When init is about to start I get an oops, 'unable to handle kernel
paging request...'. I have also tried make-kpkg but I get the same
error.
lilo.conf points to /vmlinuz, I have tried /boot/vmlinuz, and
placing a copy of zImage under / and /boot/ with various names
(vmlinuz, zImage...)

Any ideas?
/Patrik

(btw do posts to linux.debian.user find their way to this list?)