Re: Learning more/Linux programming books

<snip>
I think that it is worth considering skipping the Pascal stage and
going straight to C, or equivalent languages. Taking this approach a bit
further, I think it is even worth considering going straight to C++,
perhaps
by talking first about the procedural aspects of C++ and only then, as a
second stage, talking about the OOP aspects.
<snip>

Let me suggest a different angle toward this issue. You are interested in
learning more about programming the Linux system, right? Linux is written
in C -- not Pascal, not C++, for the most part. I am not disparaging
those languages, and in fact am more interested in using C++ than C.
Certainly the C++ advocates feel that you can just learn to program in
C++ to start with. But I decided to go ahead with C because I want to
understand the Linux system well.

shawn_harrison@tyndale.com