Re: Learning more/Linux programming books

> I did a few searches in user's archives and came up with the book
> "Beginning Linux Programming.'  I read a review and it said it was for
> people who already have programming experience.  I have none.   I look
> at files and understand very little.  I would like to be able to
> understand the phrases in the files.  I'm very new to Linux, I have a
> few "how to use linux books" but am looking for something with a
> different slant.  I'm sorry if I am being a little vague here but I
> don't have the words.  I'm learning commands, I'm learning how to edit
> files but at some point I would like to be able to read files like I
> read books and maybe make a windows manager.  What books do I need to
> read?  What computer languages do I need to learn?  In general if
> someone could point the direction.
> Thanks,
> Kent

I gather you want to read files like those a Linux system administrator
would read.
If you understand those files, you have learned a lot
[compared to the average world citizen, not to these Debian users]
You might consider
"A Practical Guide to Linux", by Sobell
[Linus himself grew up on Sobell's A Practical Guide to Unix].
Consider also the "Bash" book about the bash shell by O'Reilly publishers.
There is also a book of just Linux commands, with brief descriptions,
also by O'Reilly publishers, "Linux in a Nutshell" as I recall.

Unless you are programming full time, rather that learning C,
consider nothing.  Or, consider the scripting language perl,
which does much of what C does, handling words well [C handles characters
well], though as a scripting language Perl won't be a speed demon.
You can get your hands fully around the Bash shell, but unless you program
full time, rather than try understanding every nook of C or Perl,
just lookup in a good book those commands you need for your programs only.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb