Install Questions

I know repartitioning with fdisk/cfdisk is destructive. Is ADDING a
partition destructive? I have a 10 gig drive: 4gb(Win), 2gb(RH) and the
rest unpartitioned. It seems that partitioning the remaining space
wouldn't hurt the existing partitions but I'm not sure. (came so close to
trying it anyway  ;) )

Also, In the past I have created separate partitions for /home, ,/usr, /,
and swap. I read somewhere in the documentation that gziped programs
should be installed in /usr/local. This leads me to believe that .deb
packages are installed in /usr. True? If so, would I benefit by creating
both /usr and a /usr/local partitions? What are you guys/gals doing?
Thanks.

-Dan