Package-Building-Howto?

Hi there,
I'm using Debian for over three months now and I'm quite satisfied with it.
:-)

But as I could not find GNOME .debs, I figured out it would be great to build
them myself. So, I digged through several dpkg-*-man Pages, read
/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/<almost->* and after all failed to figure out
how to build my own Debian package. :-(

So, is there anything like a Debian-Packaging-Howto which explains the
internal structure of .debs and how to build packages oneself? In
/usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/* there is nicely explained, what everything
does, but it's not clear, HOW to do things...

I would greatly appreciate any advice and maybe I'll put up a Debian-
Packaging-Howto afterwards.

Thanks for help! Tino.