Re: LILO's now working(thanks!), BUT...

At 02:29 PM 1/14/1999 +0100, faoho@ringamt.dk wrote:

>that > is > located >beyong 1024th cylinder?
>> /dev/hda, > holds >Windows, and /dev/hdb, drive 2, holds Linux...
>> >

>>   >I do have such a configuration and for the moment I'm not able to boot
>> from /dev/hdb >(Linux). I tried to swap the two disks from BIOS but it
>> >doesn't
>> >work, probably because the mounted disks are /dev/hdb*. Any idea?
>>
>> Did you check the jumpersettings at the disks?
>> You have to tell a haddisk, whether it's a slave or the primary disk.
>> Only primary disks can be bootable.
>
>  This is something I was wondering about (I'm new to PCs and Linux):
>BIOS doesn't show any information about master/slave disks. I played
>around with the setup but with no result.
>
>  I've got an ASUSTEK P2B-S mothercard with Ultra-2 SCSI contoller (SCSI
>storage
>controller: Adaptec AIC-7890). (in some postings I saw a formatted
>description of the
>hardware configuration, is that obtained by a command or from some
>file?)

<snip>

>  Does that explain anything?
>
>Mamoun

>No
>The jumpersettings are hardware-settings. Take the harddisk out. Look at
>it. Perhaps you can see
>some small things, that can be moved. And an explanation to it printed
>directly on the harddisk: Slave: one setting: Primary: another setting.
>Usually it's easy.
>Henning

Wait. Weren't both drives working before you ran LILO? If so, then the
master/slave jumper should be okay. Above you say you "do have such a
configuration". Do you mean you have an overlay, or do you mean you've "got
2 drives, on primary and secondary IDE's. And drive 1, /dev/hda, > holds
>Windows, and /dev/hdb, drive 2, holds Linux..."?

If you've got an overlay, LILO wiped it out and it will have to be reinstalled.