SMS messges to GSM mobile phones/pagers with sms_client 2.05 and libmodem 1.0.0

Hi,
I want to be able to send Short Messages to my girlfriends mobile phone.
I couldn't find anything useful in dselect, so I searched the net.

I found one program, at  http://www.styx.demon.co.uk  and downloaded the
source and compiled it (sms_client 2.05, libmodem 1.0.0 with the patch).
Luckily the author lived in the UK like me, so there shouldn't be too
much difficulty getting it to work - or so I thought, hence this
message.

Has anybody else successfully compiled it and used it?
If so can they contact me because I would be really grateful to them if
I could get this prog working.

The program compiles alright after a few debian-specific changes to the
configuration files,
but when I try and run it, it does not dial my modem - everything
appears to be set up right, except that sms_client gives an error
message 8 which is a DIAL error of some sort.
I believe the problem to be either with my modem configuration or with
the libmodem library.

I think it is with my modem configuration, because I noticed that when I
ran minicom after as a non-root user it could not access my modem
(permission denied) even though the user was added to dialout, and the
permissions on /dev/ttyS3 seemed to be correct (660, root.dialout)

could anybody confirm (preferably by compiling the program and getting
it to work) whether it is my debian configuration at fault and what I
would need to change to make it work, or whether libmodem or even
sms_client is at fault?

I would be extremely grateful for any help,
frankie