removing/updating a stuck package

While using apt-get to update my packages (144mb worth) I lost my ppp
connection. I re-connected and resumed the update, but the package that
was being downloaded when the connection was lost got corrupted (all
other packages upgraded properly). This package (ftape) is now stuck
part installed/part uninstalled/part updated.

Now when I try to remove the ftape package(s) I get the following
messages:

running dpkg --pending --remove ...
dpkg: error processing ftape-module-2.0.34 (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 42762 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ftape-module-2.0.35 ...
No diversion `diversion of /lib/modules/=KVERS/misc/ftape.o to
/lib/modules/2.0.35/misc/ftape.o.old by ftape-module-2.0.35', none
removed
can't open /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep
dpkg: error processing ftape-module-2.0.35 (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of ftape-util:
 ftape-module-2.0.35 depends on ftape-util.
dpkg: error processing ftape-util (--remove):
 dependency problems - not removing
 ftape-module-2.0.34
 ftape-module-2.0.35
 ftape-util

dpkg --remove returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

#Trying to re-install it results in:

Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ftape-module-2.0.34 ftape-module-2.0.35 ftape-util
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0b of archives. After unpacking 1705k will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

#<snip>

 ftape-module-2.0.34
 ftape-module-2.0.35
E: Sub-process returned an error code
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall
again
Press enter to continue.

installation script returned error exit status 100.
Press RETURN to continue.

Any idea how to correct this? I am not able to install/remove any
packages at this time due to this situation. Please advise. Thanks in
advance.

-Ben Messinger