Re: Problem starting X-Windows !!!

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Andrew Ivanov wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 Franz.Skale@akl.at wrote:
>
> > I have configured Xfree with XF86Setup ans all seems to be all right.
> > After configuration, the X-Server starts, and i am able to save my
> > configuration.
> > Graphic card: Matrox Mystique 1064SG rev. 3 2 MB Video Ram.
> > The only things is that SVGA X-Server is used, because there is no Matrox
> > based x-Server to select.
> > Now i try to start X-windows and get the error message that there is no
> > valid video mode selected. (Error 111 cannot not connect to x-Server)
>
> When you are configuring your xserver, at the end you get the list of
> modes ( resolutions ) at the given bpp.
> 8bpp modes are chosen as defaults. What you need to do is:
> Depending upon the monitor and card values you will get the list of all
> the modes that your computer can support.
> Choose them in the decreasing order:
> For example, if it looks like
> 640x480  800x600  1024x764   8bpp
>
> Hit 1 and change the order into
> 1024x764   800x600   640x480
> Or something like that. What will happen is xserver will look for the
> first valid mode and use it.
> If it doesnt work, try small resolutions.
>
> Andrew
> Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
> someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
> If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
> need you.                              |

Also try the servers at SuSE's site. Don't know for sure if the'll handle your
board but AcceleratedX does. I've got it running on a Millenium G200-SD 8 meg.
and before that a MGA PCI-2 2meg. Works great at 1600x1200 24bpp.

Regards,
Mike

| Mike Nachlinger  (408) 446-9914  mnach@apres.org |
| Apres Ski Club   1-888-APRESGO   www.apres.org   |