Re: LILO's now working(thanks!), BUT...

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, CJ wrote:

> -After I ran "lilo", I reboot the system it gives me a boot prompt, I
>  enter in "Linux" and it loads Linux(it works fine). But when I enter "MS"
>  for dos/win95, it doesn't load.

Is MS a label for loading your Windows?
In lilo.conf you can specify what type of label to use.

> -I went into the /etc/fstab file and try to mount /dos like this:

Lilo has nothing to do with fstab.
Fstab mounts partitions specified in the file after linux boots.

>  /dev/hda1  /dos  vfat  rw,unauto,user,unhide
>
>  but Linux says it can't find the filesystem, I tried "fat" and "fat16" in
>  place of "vfat" but that doesn't work either

Try msdos first. Then it is possible that your kernel doesnt support the
vfat yet.
In that case you need to recompile it.
To see what filesystems your kernel does support at this point to
cat /proc/filesystems

> -I then use the window95 startup disk to boot the system. At the prompt
> "A:\>" I tried to change to drive C:\>(which is /dev/hda), but it says
> "can't drive C". So I check the dos/win95 partition using dos's fdisk
> and I notice that the partition type for the dos/win95 partition (which is
> hda1) is now changed to type "NON-DOS". I remmeber it was type "vfat" or
> "fat" before.
>        -I don't what I did to changed it(Could it be that I when mount
>         /dev/hda1 as /dos, I change the partition type?)
>
>        -Can Anyone show me how to change the dos/win95 partition type
> 	back to normal?  Or how to fix this problem so I can boot dos/win95
>         again without using the win95 startup disk?

I think you need to get the startup disk for Win, and
fdisk /mbr
to restore the original MBR on windows disk.
Then rerun lilo.
Also, send me your lilo.conf file with partition table for both disks,
I'll see if there's anything incorrect there.

> Thanks Alot,

You are welcome.

Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |