Re: bootlog on debian 2.0 missing: SOLVED

> >Oz Dror wrote:
> >Prior to the debian 2.0 installation I used to have a detail boot log
> >on /usr/adm/messages.
> >
> >Where is it on the 2.0 version. the /var/log/messages is very abbreviated
> >the /var/log/syslog is also very abbreviated

The following comes from Debian Bug report #31689.
It solves the problem with no boot log messages in /var/log/messages.
Here's his solution [it will probably soon be corrected in the
package sysklogd].

Right after boot, but before the klogd daemon runs, all "log" info
so far is saved by a line in
        /etc/init.d/sysklogd
like
        klogd
Unfortunately, the preceeding command syslogd in /etc/init.d/sysklogd
was written so a race condition occurs for klogd with syslogd.
On recommendation by cph@martigny.ai.mit.edu in Debian bug report #31689,
add a "sleep 2" command like
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd -- $SYSLOGD
        echo -n " klogd"
   **** sleep 2
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/klogd -- $KLOGD

I saw mail from June, 1998, with this problem, and I have seen
much mail that probably represents this problem.
So, when a particularly new user says, as they have been saying,
   "where are the log files"
we can still say in /var/log/messages or kern.log,
but we should also mention that very likely they need "sleep 2" in
/etc/init.d/sysklogd or hopefully an upgrade on sysklogd that
corrects this problem.

Still, you may not have all your messages on booting.
I still miss a few lines in /var/log/messages, including an early line about
"Memory".
Here is a solution from someone's recommendation half a year ago.
Consider changing
            /usr/src/linux-2.0.34/kernel/printk.c
so rather than LOG_BUF_LEN=8192 you have
   *****        LOG_BUF_LEN=40960
Then "dmesg", and /var/log/messages too, will contain all of the
boot messages from their start, including a line like
 kernel: Memory: 127672k/131072k available (856k kernel code, 384k reserved,
2160k data)
Of course, one must then go through a whole kernel recompilation
[ see  /usr/src/linux-2.0.34/README ]

I feel this variable LOG_BUF_LEN should have such a 40960 value or larger,
which can be handled within Debian packaging.
Maybe the kernel maintainer could change this value.
Ideally, this would be a lilo.conf parameter, but that should be handled
in a kernel maintainers' group [I do NOT send them any recommendation;
would somebody else like to?].
Some Debian systems have more messages than others and some (like myself)
are running some debugging, resulting in a chopped /var/log/messages.
These boot log messages have come in very handy: I am glad the Debian
community found the above solutions for me/us.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb