Re: Starting another Xterm in X

Nicholas Lee <N.J.Lee@statslab.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > ...and none of these change the handling of aliasses.
> > If the aliasses get only read by a login shell (i.e. they are defined in
> > .bash_profile) the following Xresource makes every xterm a login shell:
> >
> > xterm*loginShell: true
> >

> Alternatively, without a global default:
> xterm -ls
>
> Nicholas

You don't need any of that if you are running bash, and the other
shells probably have equivalent ways of handling it.  I simply put all
aliases in my ~/.bashrc file, and they are always read by every
non-login shell including xterm shells.  Since login shells don't read
.bashrc by default, I put the following sequence in my .bash_profile
to read in .bashrc for them:

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]
then
  case $- in
    *i*) . ~/.bashrc
  esac
fi

The .bashrc file should also have any other commands that need to be
executed for every interactive shell (such as fortune for me).

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org