Help. I seem to have broken my machine.

Hi,

   Sorry to bother you but i don't understand this problem at all.

   I have a machine that isn't allowing me to do some simple things like
the w command, etc. For example:

ffff:~$ ps
bash: /bin/ps: No such file or directory

but:

ffff:~$ which ps
/bin/ps
ffff:~$ ls -l /bin/ps
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        12844 Apr 22  1998 /bin/ps
ffff:~$ /bin/ps
bash: /bin/ps: No such file or directory

so how can it know that the command is there and it (and the directories
above) are read/write/executable, but not run? I can do the df command
which is in the same directory! I rebooted to make sure that the memory
wasn't corrupt or something, but that didn't help.

   (What i did before this happened was to use dselect on this debian
linux machine:

Linux ffff.ddd.com 2.0.29 #3 Sat May 31 13:35:27 EST 1997 i586 unknown

but somehow it failed to find the libc6 libraries even though they were
there before. I don't know which is the chicken and which the egg at this
time. But the problem of not exceuting something that it knows is there
seems fundamentally broken.)

   Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'm off the air until i can
figure this out.

   Thank you.

universero trio... trio@tio.net... http://tio.net/~trio
Learn and use The International Language Esperanto! http://esperanto.org