Re: emacs19, hamm and segmentation faults

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> [ upgraded from bo to hamm ]
>
> There were small problems here and there, but nothing more than I
> expected, and all the diagnostics I ran (apt-get check especially)
> gave (and give) no indication of trouble.
>
> There is one big problem though---trying to invoke emacs (19.34)
> always produces a segmentation fault (all users, from the console or
> from within X). Just about my whole work-life happens from inside
> emacs, so this is, for me, dead serious.

You should install the new package "emacs19" which replaces the old
one "emacs". This is just a change in the name of the package.

The name changed because now there are "emacs19" and "emacs20".
Unfortunately, dselect does not support "package name changing" so you
have to know about this name change and select the new one by hand.

I still think this is a bug in the Debian system as a whole for not
providing an empty emacs package which depends on emacs19 as the only
viable way for now to solve the problem you had.