how to umount /floppy with superblock error?

Hi, everybody --

I wanted to reuse the OS/2 warp floppies I had hanging around. I wanted to make them ext2 filesystem, so issued the command (with the floppy in /dev/fd0, but _not_ mounted):
mke2fs /dev/fd0

The drive light was on for a while and I got the info about formatting; and
the prompt returned. Then I wanted to mount it and used:
mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy

where I got the message about "can't read superblock" ( I know this is not a
good thing). Then I tried to umount it, thinking I'll just toss the floppy.
But issueing:
umount /floppy gives me: "umount: /floppy: can't write superblock"

and my /var/log/messages shows:
Jan  9 12:23:29 cmt kernel: Directory sread (sector 0x13) failed
Jan  9 12:23:30 cmt kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 19

Doing a df:
df: /floppy/: Input/output error

Could someone tell me or point me to the place on the Net where I can read
up on it how to get my /floppy back? Is it possible to fix this?

TIA,
damir