Re: version control systems

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 03:59:07PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 09:22:26AM -0800, Mike Touloumtzis wrote:
> >
> > I use Perforce at work and have been happy both with its quality and
> > with the responsiveness of Perforce support.  Their software has run on
> > Linux for quite a while now, which is a nice positive.
>
> The Windows client looks a bit average. The mechanism doesn't APPEAR
> to cope with a development environment like Delphi, where you move between
> files all the time. It wants to load your editor for a file, then close it
> and open it again on the next.

The GUI client is for wimps ;-)  Most people here don't need it and
don't feel a strong need for it; the command line client is pretty
full-featured.

But it may not be what you need.  We chose it because it handles branching
extremely well; if you don't expect to be in a situation in which the code
will frequently be branched into sub-projects/working snapshots/etc.,
its advantages over CVS start to decline.

miket