Re: Elm-me+ & Mailboxes

On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 12:22:24PM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 08:55:31 +1100, Stephen M Lavelle wrote:
> > i'm using Elm-me+ to read mail and fetchmail to fetch from my ISP. I would
> > like to know how to set up separate mailboxes (i.e 1 for messages from
> > this list, 1 for another list, 1 for work etc). The docs dont really
> > mention this.
>
> This is a task for a mail delivery agent (like procmail or mailagent), not
> for a mail user agent like elm-me+, or for fetchmail (which bridges between
> your ISP's mail transfer agent and yours).
>
> I recommend you install procmail and read its docs.

sortmail may be worth considering too. It's simple, but that's both
a shortcoming and an advantage. I've run it here for several years. It's
quite old.

I now use an exim filter; it's more powerful than sortmail, and faster
to execute since it's built in. I have a procmail filter at one other
account (since it's the only .forward pipe allowed), but would prefer to run
sortmail.

Here's my old .sortmailrc for Debian.

# .rc file for sortmail, which files mail in the right places
# mail goes in to the incoming if unrecognised,
# or to the debian folder if appropriate

set mailbox='/var/spool/mail/hamish'
set folder='Mail'

/hamish/t:m

/debian-announce/h:m
/debian-devel-announce/h:m
/debian-private/h:+debian-private
/debian-changes/h:+debian-changes
/debian-devel-changes/h:+debian-devel-changes
/debian-devel/h:+debian-devel
/debian-user/h:+debian
/debian-policy/h:+debian-policy
/debian-mentors/h:+debian-mentors
/debian-qa/h:+debian-qa
/debian-68k/h:+debian-68k

You can do a lot better with exim or procmail, but it's pretty simple
to set up.

Hamish