Re: PPP and mouse

>> "MMC" == Michelle Maria Coelho <mcoelho@purdue.edu> writes:

MMC> (a Microsoft PS/2 serial mouse). I'm wondering if the plugging in
MMC> of the mouse was crucial to the stage "Configure device
MMC> drivers". Will I have problems while installing XFree86????

I believe it will be. Run modconf as root and choose the ps/2 mouse
support under misc (IIRC).

MMC> a)what kind of modem I should buy

Do not by a winmodem. It won't work with anything then Windows 95/98

MMC> b)how to configure it *I do not have a DOS partition on my hard disk. I
MMC> only have a Linux native and a Linux Swap partition*

If you by a externel modem, non-pnp, you will have the least
troubles. Just plug it into com1. Then you can say your modem is at
/dev/ttyS0, when asked by a program.

MMC> c)how to configure PPP support.

Run pppconfig. Or if you prefer a X based program, I suggest the xisp
program (shameless plug as I maintain it ;-)

MMC> All I have installed right now is just the base system. I have just
MMC> 116Mb on my hard disk and 16Mb of RAM. So I set aside 100MB for the
MMC> Primary Linux Partition and 16Mb for the swap. I'm wondering if I'll
MMC> have enough memory to install the bare XWindows system.

Should be enough. Although you might deselect some of the things that
gets selected by default like emacs or tetex.

Ciao,
	Martin