PPP and mouse

Hi...
Yesterday, I downloeaded the Debian Linux installation kit on floppies
and installed it on my 486 at home. It was a breeze. However, there was
one problem. At the time of installation, I hadn't plugged in the mouse
(a Microsoft PS/2 serial mouse). I'm wondering if the plugging in of the
mouse was crucial to the stage "Configure device drivers". Will I have
problems while installing XFree86????

All I wish to use this PC for is dialling up to my university and
working remotely. I have not purchased a modem yet. Could someone please
tell me
a)what kind of modem I should buy
b)how to configure it *I do not have a DOS partition on my hard disk. I
only have a Linux native and a Linux Swap partition*
c)how to configure PPP support.

All I have installed right now is just the base system. I have just
116Mb on my hard disk and 16Mb of RAM. So I set aside 100MB for the
Primary Linux Partition and 16Mb for the swap. I'm wondering if I'll
have enough memory to install the bare XWindows system.

Michelle Maria Coelho
Purdue School of Science

Phone: 1-317-278-2948
Fax  : 1-317-274-9742