Re: upgrade from 14.4 to 56.6 modem - what settings to change?

Martin Waller wrote:
> I've been a lucky boy and have got a new 56.6k modem for xams to replace
> my old 14.4.
>
> An old linux book I have (from kernel 1.2.13, and for slackware...) says
> to get fast modem speeds I have to run setserial ttys1 115200 to get
> higher modem speeds.
>
> The modem works OK, but I'm only getting a 28.8k connection (could be my
> ISP).
>
> Regradless, do I need to change the 38400 bit in the connect string
> thing to 115200? Or change some script somehwre to gurantee fastest
> possible connection speeds?

You'll want to either

 (a) Call setserial with the "spd_vhi" option (in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial)
     for the port that your modem sits on.  You can then use the 38400
     speed setting in your ppp script which the kernel will interpret as
     115200 bps.

or

 (b) Leave /etc/rc.boot/setserial alone and use 115200 in your connect
     script.

Option (a) is a relic from the pre-kernel-2.0 days and is deprecated today
(but will still work).
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>