upgrade from 14.4 to 56.6 modem - what settings to change?

I've been a lucky boy and have got a new 56.6k modem for xams to replace
my old 14.4.

An old linux book I have (from kernel 1.2.13, and for slackware...) says
to get fast modem speeds I have to run setserial ttys1 115200 to get
higher modem speeds.

The modem works OK, but I'm only getting a 28.8k connection (could be my
ISP).

Regradless, do I need to change the 38400 bit in the connect string
thing to 115200? Or change some script somehwre to gurantee fastest
possible connection speeds?

Ta for any info (hamm by the way)

Martin