Problems with X

I had X running fine with one little problem before getting a Monster 3D
II card a little while back.  One small problem was that I have xdm kick
up two X windows.  Well, about five minutes after boot, I would get kicked
over to the second X window for no reason.  I could switch back to the
first one, clear and screen, and everything was fine.  It didn't do it
again unless I rebooted.  I don't know what was causing this, but I could
live with it and I figured it was a small bug in X.  Now, however, when
this happens, the screen goes black and I can't get to a screen at all.
Console or otherwise.  I saw on here someone mentioned something about
video cards not being able to handle switching modes to well, and wonder
if that's the problem.  Anyone have any ideas or things to try?  Would an
acceleracted X server solve the problem?  TIA.

							Rob