Gamma correction

This may not be the best place to ask this, but does anyone out there know
of a way to adjust the gamma value in X Windows?  I seem to recall seeing
something like this (although it didn't work) in gnome, but I've since
removed gnome.  I looked at all the manual pages I could think of, and the
only obvious way from those is to change the color maps (which seems like
more work than it would be worth).  The reason I'm interested is that
X Windows seems to be darker and higher contrast than Windoze or Mac
computers, and I'd like to be able to try out a web page with a Mac-like
screen.

Thanks much.

 Christopher S. Swingley
 International Arctic Research Center