Re: Network File Server

"Austanners Wet Blue Pty Ltd" <auswetbl@mail.austasia.net> writes:

> We are just about to go ahead and upgrade our network. All machines are Wx89
> workstations. We were going to use NT Server as a file server but since
> using Debian i thought about Linux as a file server. I'm sure lots of you
> out there are doing this so any suggestions (hardware, software packages)
> and comments (problems etc) would be a appreciated. I was going to get
> something like a 686 300MMX 128MB RAM 32X CDROM UPS etc.

That's probably over-specced even for an NT file server.  ;-)  Besides
what you've listed, you should go for an all-SCSI system, not IDE, and
you'll need some kind of tape backup.  You should make sure you get a
10/100 Mbs Ethernet card, even if you only have a 10 Mbs network at
the moment.

For software, you'll want to use Samba as the file server.  You can
also use this as a print server, and together with LPRng and cti-ifhp
it works quite well with HP-compatible laser printers.

(Would you have gotten a reply this fast from MS support on a statutory
holiday?)

		  Larry froze.  Was the bag a trap?
  He could see the way in, but the other end appeared to be sealed.