Re: Problems with drive usage (Debian 1.3.1)

Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net> writes:

> > - Warning: Unknown PCI device (104c:3d07).
>
> This is probably no problem - you just have a pci device which is not known to
> your ancient kernel. No problem.

It's actually a "Texas Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2]", not that I
actually know what *that* is.

[snip]

> > When I try to add the new partitions to the end of the unused space, or all of
> > them as logical partitions, cfdisk installs all of them. But as soon as I try
> > to initialize the new partitions, the system fails to work properly when I
> > arrive at /dev/sda16 ("is the entire device, not just one partition").
>
> This might indicate a problem with kernel 2.0.29 - I am not sure if it can
> address more than 16 partitions per disk.

I don't have any SCSI disks, but it looks like that restriction still
exists in 2.1.130.  In fact, you're limited to 14 because /dev/sda is
the entire disk and the extended partition (usually /dev/sda4) doesn't
store anything itself.

> > Initializing the partitions in the reversed order yields: "Could not stat
> > /dev/sda18 - no such file or directory" although cfdisk shows the correct
> > entry in the partition table.
>
> This is easy. mke2fs is right - there is probably no /dev/sda18. Just create
> it yourself:
>
> mknod /dev/sda16 b 8 16
> mknod /dev/sda17 b 8 17
> mknod /dev/sda18 b 8 18

I don't think so.  8,16 is /dev/sdb, 8,17 is /dev/sdb1, etc.

Can you please post what your current disk looks like?  For 5 DOS and
4 HPFS partitions you only have five partitions left for Linux, or
four if you're using Boot Manager.

You can probably get by with fewer partitions until you decide you
don't need DOS, though, especially if you can use Dosemu and Wine to
do everything DOS and Win3.1 do.  I also think OS/2 would be able to
cope with just one HPFS partition.  You can use LOADLIN from DOS if
LILO can't boot off an extended partition.

So, I would get rid of /httpd and /adabas and put them under /usr,
/usr/local, /var and/or /home.  I would suggest swap, /, /var, /usr
and /home, and at a pinch you could put /usr on the same partiton as
/.  Plan to back it up and reinstall later when you have a better idea
of what size they should be.

It might be possible to put the OS/2 and/or DOS partitions on
/dev/sda16 etc., if they can cope.  I'd back up everything, use OS/2
FDISK to create all the partitions, with the Linux ones as DOS
instead, then restore OS/2.  Then install Linux and change the DOS
partitions to Linux.  This is a lot of trouble, especially if it
doesn't work.

		  Larry froze.  Was the bag a trap?
  He could see the way in, but the other end appeared to be sealed.